[Chicken-users] where do the friggin' libraries go on Unix?

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: [Chicken-users] where do the friggin' libraries go on Unix?
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 18:13:39 -0700

John Cowan wrote:
Brandon J. Van Every scripsit:

So the LD_LIBRARY_PATH issue was particular to your setup?

It's probably particular to all Unix setups as long as Chicken
installs in /usr/local by default, because /usr/local/lib is
not one of the standard places to look for dynamic libraries.

One of the things the (long obsolete) Debian packaging of
Chicken does is make it install in /usr instead of /usr/local.

Once upon a time, Felix looked at the CMake build and pronounced that libraries go in whatever_prefix/lib.  But perhaps that's wrong, and they should go in whatever_prefix/share/chicken?  All you wonderful Unixen debate this.  I really don't care, and it is trivial to change.  I note that the .exports all go in whatever_prefix/share/chicken, and that the Chicken 2.41 ./configure tarball under Cygwin installs the libraries in whatever_prefix/lib.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every