Re: [Chicken-users] Idea feedback

From: Shawn Rutledge
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Idea feedback
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:20:57 -0700

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 2:42 PM, john <address@hidden> wrote:
> Yes, I remember talk of dbus! Any progress Shawn?

No.  My first use for it was to interface to avahi, but the stacked
dependencies got a bit overwhelming... have to figure out easyffi (or
something) so I can interface to dbus so I can interface to avahi so I
can discover my Scheme-over-TCP service (when the latter is the
interesting part that I'd rather spend my spare time on).  I got stuck
at some point, I forgot where, but it's easy enough to have another
look at it when I get home.  I figured it might work better to just
interface to the avahi API, but then the total number of libraries
that need to be linked in goes up, whereas dbus is useful for more
purposes.

Your project might be similar to mine, but I planned the main comm
channel to be plain sockets or SSH rather than dbus.  Doing everything
via dbus might be interesting, though.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dscm/

What kind of binary S-expression format are you planning to use?
That's very much of interest to me, but I figured there needs to be a
new standard for exchanging bse's across different versions of scheme
(and even other languages, later).  I have an experimental thing I
call gtf (generic tree format) which might work: just a kind of tree
in which all the symbols have been moved out into a symbol table, and
then are referenced by offset.  But that is not Scheme-specific at
all; I intended it to be a replacement for XML actually.  It could be
a way of representing Scheme "source" compactly, but it's not as cool
as the Kali idea of sending closures from one Scheme to another.  That
idea is still voodoo to me, but I wish I understood it better.