Re: [Chicken-users] Cygwin installation report

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Cygwin installation report
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 16:03:13 -0500

Hi Mark,

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 20:58:02 +0000 (GMT) Mark Carter <address@hidden> wrote:

> Felix asked me to try compiling the latest version of chicken from
> git. I am happy to announce that it all goes very well - expect for
> the command chicken-install - which seems to be a Win7/Vista
> problem. Here's a more detailed report of what I did:
>
> I installed a fresh copy of cygwin - ensuring that chicken 3.4.0 was NOT
> included in the installation. I then performed the following actions:
> git clone http://chicken.wiki.br/git/chicken-core.git
> cd chicken-core
> make PLATFORM=cygwin confclean
> make PLATFORM=cygwin PREFIX=/usr/local bootstrap
> make PLATFORM=cygwin PREFIX=/usr/local CHICKEN=./chicken-boot
> make PLATFORM=cygwin PREFIX=/usr/local install
> cd ..
> csi
>
> csi worked successfully. I obtained the output
> CHICKEN
> (c)2008-2010 The Chicken Team
> (c)2000-2007 Felix L. Winkelmann
> Version 4.4.1
> windows-cygwin-x86 [ manyargs dload ptables ]
> compiled 2010-03-12 on mcarter-PC (CYGWIN_NT-6.1)
>
> #;1>
>
> I also confirm that csc compiles a file correctly.
>
> FYI, the git commit from which chicken was built is:
> commit 590e58d9cfaed30d1b79abcc8bab4c13b80691ce
> Author: felix <address@hidden>
> Date:   Fri Mar 12 07:51:21 2010 +0100

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

> Installation of eggs proved problematical:
> chicken-install loop
> bash: /usr/local/bin/chicken-install: Permission denied
>
> To overcome this, I did:
> cp /usr/local/bin/chicken-install.exe /usr/local/bin/chickeni.exe

Is there any documentation about that bestial Windows behavior?

Changing the name of chicken-install on windows doesn't sound as a good
solution, since we'd have a special case to handle for documentation and
for every text which mention chicken-install...

Best wishes.
Mario