Re: ls is broken, what's next cd?

From: Kaz Kylheku (Coreutils)
Subject: Re: ls is broken, what's next cd?
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2018 11:16:14 -0800

On 2018-02-06 01:30, Michael wrote:
On 06/02/2018 08:13, Bernhard Voelker wrote:
On 02/06/2018 12:41 AM, Michael Felt wrote:
imho, the main problem is you change the default behavior, and 43 years
of programs are broken.

no, as explained it does not affect programs and scripts, because this
only changes the output to the terminal.

Yes, I thought about that too. So, maybe I would have liked the choice
to be able to have them quoted IF and/or WHEN I needed to cut/paste
names. But now I must either not install coreutils (as I have that
option) or always remember to add three characters (' -N') everytime I
want normal ls output.

Are you saying that even names without spaces are being quoted?

If you only see these quotes for idiotic file names, then there is
really no issue.

Nobody should even listen to your complaint, because it is
prompted by the fact that you have such names in your filesystem,
which automatically makes you wrong in that same face of 43 years
of Unix alluded to upthread.

I'm ideologically opposed to this -N thing myself, or anything
which caters to these ill-conceived file names.

However, practically speaking, sometimes professionals who
do not themselves name things that way can fall "victim" to
people who do. If you have to deal with someone else's filesystem
or tarball or whatever, it does behoove you if your ls disambiguates
things for you.