Re: [Denemo-devel] few questions about usage (for translating purpose)

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] few questions about usage (for translating purpose)
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 18:24:28 +0100

On Fri, 2013-04-26 at 18:03 +0200, Federico Bruni wrote:
> 2013/4/26 Richard Shann <address@hidden>
>         On Fri, 2013-04-26 at 16:14 +0200, Federico Bruni wrote:
>         > Hi there
>         >
>         >
>         > I'm finalizing my translation (finally!).
>

>         That's great, thank you. How much effort is involved in
>         creating a new
>         translation when there are just a few new strings and the code
>         positions
>         may have altered a bit?
>         I ask because (of course :) ) since putting up the pot file I
>         have
>         continued work, and a judgement needs to be made between
>         getting the
>         most up-to-date possible and causing a disproportionate amount
>         of work
>         for some minor feature that has been added.
>

> not a big effort usually
> if the code positions are altered, the strings are marked as "fuzzy":
> all we have to do is checking if a real change is happened and mark it
> as translated if the original string has not changed

If you don't do that does the translation get omitted or is the fuzzy
one accepted as good enough?

>         >
>         >
>         > I have a question about the playback control and this string
>         in
>         > particular:
>         >
>         >
>         > "Moves the playback start point (which shows as a green bar)
>         earlier
>         > in time
>         > The red and green bars do not get drawn until you have
>         started play,
>         > or at least created the time base."
>         >
>         >
>         > What is the time base here?
>

>         The time base is what I think people call the set of timings
>         for the
>         notes of the piece. They are created when play is asked for.
>

> so the duration of the notes plus the time signature? but these are
> created by the user when inserting the notes..
> sorry, not clear yet

duration of notes (time signature is irrelevant) plus tempo, Denemo does
not calculate this until MIDI is required. At this point the timings in
seconds from the start are computed and attached to notes.

>         >
>         >
>         > Also, I see that in version 0.9.2 (debian package) the red
>         and green
>         > bars appeared immediately as soon as I hit play, while in
>         git version
>         > nothing appears at the edges,
>

>         hmm, I just tried New entered a few notes and hit Play. The
>         Playback
>         Start line appeared, but the Playback End is not shown, it
>         appears only
>         if it is not at the end. This is a bug, at least it was not
>         planned.
>         This is with the Playback Controls visible.
>         Is this what you see?
>         Without the playback controls visible the red and green bars
>         are not
>         shown (this is a new feature someone asked for).
>

> It seems to me that the error is quite random: I've tried a few scores
> from scratch and sometimes I get the playback end only and sometimes I
> get nothing.

ok - I see it, all that stuff is quite buggy - just now I got the
suddenly emptied queue of audio, a very horrid effect. I got it twice in
a row, (when hitting Play) and then it got itself righted. I haven't
heard that in a long time, I don't know if it is something people put up
with...