Re: [Denemo-devel] Help Needed

From: Edgar Aichinger
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Help Needed
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 11:59:59 +0100

Am Mittwoch, 11. Dezember 2013, 17:44:34 schrieb Richard Shann:
> > Yes, We could use the OpenSuse build system to build the .rpm, or .deb. I
> > will have to try and remember my old password.
>
> > If a user clicks on one of these files will their package manager fetch all
> > its dependencies from the distros repository?
>
> Can someone who knows please answer this question? I think the answer
> will be yes if by "clicking" we mean running apt-get install or WHY,
> because the debian package holds that information in a form ready to be
> used by the package manager. In any case, installing run-time
> dependencies would be better than having to install the development
> libraries, toolchain etc needed to build Denemo.

Sorry for replying late, I was a bit busy yesterday.

OBS (created by openSUSE but called Open Build Service now) offers a convenient
way for installing these generated binary/noarch packages (noarch is just a
special case for packages that contain only human readable files and thus can
be read on any architecture, like e.g. init scripts, and the user usually
isn't even presented this detail when choosing something to install).
There's a powerful search engine at http://search.opensuse.org/ - choose Build
Service in the menu on the left, type denemo to the search bar and it comes up
with a list of all available built and published packages, for any distro they
exist for. At least for openSUSE variants you can then simply click the
"One click Install" link, which will execute a scriptlet to ask for root
password, start your package manager, add the repository containing the
desired build, and install the package including all the dependencies, without
further user interaction (except maybe clicking ok again once or twice).

That's just one way to go though, also the project page on OBS offers a
Download page with different methods, see
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:edogawa/denemo
(upper right side)

The package maintainer has to make sure though that these dependencies are
seen by the package manager. In case the standard distro repository doesn't
include them, but are built in some other OBS repo, he should probably create
a link to the needed package which effectively creates a copy in his own
project.
I had to do this for lilypond for a while pre oS-12.2 IIRC, because openSUSE
didn't ship it as
part of the main distro, only via the multimedia:apps project on OBS.

I see Jeremiah has branched denemo and tries to build for Fedora:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:jjbenham:branches:home:edogawa/denemo

I haven't tried to do other distro builds myself yet, but i believe that
there's a set of rpm macros to use for adjusting to different distros (install
locations, different dependency names etc.) while keeping the build
instructions in one .spec file, but this is well documented in the OBS wiki,
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_cross_distribution_howto

Hope that helps,

Edgar