Re: [Denemo-devel] chord symbols not rendered

From: Bric
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] chord symbols not rendered
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 13:40:22 -0400

On 10/31/2014 09:05 AM, Richard Shann wrote:
On Fri, 2014-10-31 at 08:22 -0400, Bric wrote:
On 10/30/2014 04:36 PM, Richard Shann wrote:
On Thu, 2014-10-30 at 13:58 -0400, Bric wrote:
Hello

I am using version 1.1.2.  Just tried to enter chord symbols.  Found it
in my menus: Notes/Rest -> Markings -> Chord Symbols -> Edit Chord Symbols

(1) If I enter "F#m7"  I get "INVALID!" in the typeset window, although
my entry shows in denemo.
It requires LilyPond syntax.
(2) If I enter "Fm" (removing the pound sign), the "INVALID" error in
the typeset window goes away, but the chord text notation is still not
rendered.  It doesn't show up
I believe the syntax is F:m (there are some examples given in the
prompt)
If you don't want to type in LilyPond chord notation for chord symbols
you can create a staff and set the Staff Properties->Chord Symbols and
the put actual chords in, they will be typeset as chord symbols.
OK. I don't mind typing in Lilypond notation.

   However, lilypond is taking liberties:  when I enter "F:m7.5-",
lilypond (or is it denemo?) substitutes the half-diminished symbol: Fø7

I want to keep it spelled as "Fm7(♭5)", for parentheses, if possible.

Thanks. By the way, it would really cool if denemo had an option to auto-transpose the chords, too!

I mean - this would leverage already invested effort and features: The chord entry is already structured and rule-based, using lilypond notation. Seems like it's already set up for auto-transposition.

I suggest: maybe some sort of check mark that one could toggle, in the menus (a menu option close to where one chooses to transpose). So, when it's toggled "on", the "transpose music" sweeps in the chords in addition to the staff notes.

thanks again.

the default is something called ignatziek style, other styles are
available, you will need to consult the LilyPond docs and do an Insert
LilyPond to get them...
(Well, there is a whole bunch of stuff for customizing chord symbols in
Denemo which you could explore, I've written it for chord charts, but it
will work for your use too I guess).

Should I post to the lilypond forum about it?  By the way a newly
compiled git version keeps hanging/freezing on me, when I resize the
typeset window (!??)
I've seen it do this on the scheme window occasionally. It is some bug
in Gtk I guess.

Let me know if you want me to gdb it or some such.

But that's for another thread, I guess.  Also, I'm
not sure I understand what's happening with the mailing list - am *I*
doing something wrong?
No, the LilyPond mailing lists have gone dead too, some problem at
Savannah I guess, but I don't know how to flag it up; I expect they
know.