Re: [Denemo-devel] Tooltips - what am I doing wrong?

From: Johan Vromans
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Tooltips - what am I doing wrong?
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 10:35:24 +0100

On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 07:59:38 +0000
Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:

> One of the time settings available in the preferences sets the browse
> timeout, choosing a value for this (and, possibly, re-starting the
> program) causes a call the gtk to set that value.
> From what you say, none of these calls to set the timings were being
> honored in Gtk 3.10?

From what I can deduce from experimenting with several programs:

a. There's an initial delay for a tooltip popup that is approx 1 second. I
   haven't found a (system/global) setting that can change the delay time.

b. If two sensitive areas are more or less adjacent, and one is showing the
   tooltip popup, moving to the other area immedeately shows its popup. Only
   when the mouse gets some time in between the areas, approx 0.5 seconds,
   the popup delay timer is restarted.

This behaviour seems consistent between all Gtk-based applications I have
tried, both Gtk 2 and Gtk 3 based.

Apparently, before Gtk 3.10, it was possible to control the popup delay
time, and, also apparently, that disabled (circumvents) the behaviour
described at b. above.

But this was changed in Gtk 3.10. Now all applications behave consistent
according to a. and b. above. Since Denemo is heavily equipped with
tooltips-sensitive areas, moving the mouse will almost always cause popping
up tooltips all of the time.

> Are you able to use a bug-fixed version of Gtk?

Are you saying this has been ackowledged as a bug, and a bug fix exists?
I have no problems building my own Gtk libraries, as long as an officially
fixed version is in the works.

-- Johan