Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] RPMs, etc

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] RPMs, etc
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 18:01:41 -0700

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 08:47:30PM -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Monday 24 October 2005 20:07, Robert McGwier wrote:
> > KD7LMO has excellent instructions on how to build to a non global
> > libraries, etc.  This prevents disruption of things that depend on the
> > base install versions.  I know,  it finally took a reinstall to
> > straighten my mess out.
>
> While on the surface this seems to be a good idea, I have enough experience
> with these sorts of things to know that it is a bad idea from a
> maintainability standpoint.  Been there, done that with PostgreSQL;
> maintained the RPMset for five years as a result.  And while I don't want to
> belittle the effort put into those instructions (they do work well, after
> all), I do want to point out that many people simply think that's too much
> effort.  They want the Regular Package Tools to Just Work.

Lamar,

Perhaps after we get the 2.6 tarballs ready to go, you could
take a shot at creating the spec files and anything else we might need
to build RPMs.  I'm not sure how to handle dependencies where the
dependency has a different *name* on different distributions.  Perhaps
you've run into this and have a solution.

I'd like to have RPMS for SuSE 9.3 (x86 and x86_64), Mandrake 10.1,
Mandriva 2006, and FC 4 for starters.  With Ramakrishnan covering Debian,
this would give us good coverage.

Eric