RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] No module name gnuradio

From: w_esco_m
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] No module name gnuradio
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:23:55 -0700

Hi, all:

I would like to weigh in on Lamar's comments, especially to comment on the difficulty of getting gnuradio to compile/install. I know this is really my own problem, and that this note is headed for the bit bucket, but still I think posting one person's reasonable set of problems might help someone else in the future.

I am fairly savvy with computers (having started by writing a compiler on a 1620 a long time ago with punch cards - some of you will recognize this one, programmed in assembly in college, then APL, PL/I, Pascal, C, etc.), but linux and all its complexities are still really a barrier, even though the modern desktops make it look simple.

The potential of gnuradio/usrp has always been very exciting to me. However, I am actually amazed at how much trouble it has been to get the code working. I typically have 2-3 hours at a stretch to play with this, and I have used about 5 such sessions so far, and still I have yet to communicate with my new usrp. Unfortunately, my "hobby time" is limited, and I know I am not alone on this one.

I should quickly point out, over the past couple of months, I have had to come here multiple times to ask for help out of various problems, and Eric in particular has been extremely helpful and patient. This is wonderful, but if the whole installation were easier, I would not have had to bother Eric or the rest of you.

Here's the rough path I took:

After following this discussion for perhaps a year, and taking particular notice of distributions, etc. it seemed that Mandrake 10.1 official would be best, so I bought and installed that, including everything I could think of to get a development-level system. No one said which desktop to take, so I picked kde.

From the wiki and documentation, it seemed that the instructions from KD7LMO and from Dawei Shen would be most helpful. Even though KD7LMO's scripts were for FC, still they seemed worth a try. I started with LMO's, but then had to start over with Dawei's instructions. As an example of the various problems, fftw did not compile at the beginning, but after several tries and stopping the use of "make distclean", I got it to compile. Then all the baseline packages were installed in /usr/local/bin, but the gnuradio compilation expects them to be in /usr/bin (apparently - I did not know this). After redoing all those compiles, more failures led to the realization that automake was not up to snuff, so I had to find and install that, too. Start over again on the baseline packages Then boost was missing, so had to install that. Then there were troubles passing the location of the boost directory to ./for-all-dirs. So it continues - there is no choice now but to build each part of gnuradio by hand. I feel like I am almost there, but I expect more things to have been done wrong by me.

I know it is hard for the programming experts to understand this, but the huge array of possible locations for the files, the intricacies and subtleties of the different shells, the inscrutable unix command lines, and so on, lead to a really large number of ways to mess it up. I still do not have a working final compilation of the simple code, much less being able to try to create something new for specific applications.

And I did try downloading and preparing a knoppix prebuilt system; for some reason this fails to boot.

If there is an easier way, perhaps someone can tell me.

Thank you,  Weo  WN6I