Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 13:09:18 -0500

Then you're reading the website. It clearly mentions Cocoa.  Unfortunately you're right in that most people will not even bother to read. They will simply look at the default look and make assumptions.

On Friday, November 22, 2013, Doc O'Leary wrote:
In article <mailman.6796.1385083494.10748.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 Ivan Vuãica <ivan@vucica.net> wrote:

> But just saying "this is what customer wants" without considering if it is
> a viable motivating short term goal? Without considering that it is a
> moonshot (a great moonshot, but still a moonshot)? That's unrealistic,
> raises expectations unnecessarily and does not help in providing
> for-GNUstep developers the tools needed to deliver quality GNUstep-first
> apps.

What about all the other goal-driven suggestions that aren't at all
"moonshots" but aren't getting discussed because they don't appear to be
"core" to GNUstep itself?  I myself have raised issues regarding
adoption (e.g., the lack of an iOS-related perspective) and installation
(e.g., the lack of a simple VM image or similar way to get started).

If you want to attract developers and users, you have to at least look
at where they are today and what you can do to make GNUstep a viable
alternative.  Because of iOS, there is more ObjC and Foundation/*Kit
interest than ever, and the people are paying for the apps.  What
message is GNUstep sending to that community?  From what I see on the
web site, it's the same ol' "Here's an open source implementation of
some 90's technology you never heard of or used."

--
iPhone apps that matter:    http://appstore.subsume.com/
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, localhost, googlegroups.com, theremailer.net,

--
Gregory Casamento
(240)274-9630 (Cell)