Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 14:12:37 -0500

On Nov 23, 2013, at 12:23 PM, Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 11/22/13 19:11, Gregory Casamento wrote:
>> MyStep is interesting but an implementation of uikit is needed in some form
>> to attract that segment of developers.
>>
> do we really want to attract them?

Yes

> for what purpose?

To help make the project better.

> Where would this "uikit-gnustep" run?

On any platform it is capable of being ported to, just like GNUstep.

> do you want to have it running on Android do port iOS stuff?

Yes and to develop new things, just as GNUstep can be used to develop new apps
for Linux/BSD.

> or on some free hardware?

Sure.

> which one?

Is this somehow my choice and not the community?  Is a choice necessary here?

> Of what use would it be?

As you stated and I stated earlier: To compile and run existing iOS apps on any
other platform and to develop new apps using that framework.

> Questions that need to be answered besides just using the buzzword of
> compatibility once against GNUstep.
>
> Having a "uikit" would be comparable to having cocoa. But what is the
> ultimate use for it?

You’ve asked this question several times in the course of this message, I
suggest you check above.

> GNUstep allows to develop like you do on a Mac or NeXT box, but on your
> operating system of choice and on hardware of choice (most notably, x86
> commodity hardware).
>
> But for a mobile computing it looks dimmer. You might either target Andorid
> or some kind of total-free implementation, that would be essentially a
> different way of doing myStep, bi looking at iOS instead of desktop as
> compatibility. But from the long work of Nikolaus on free phones and tablets,
> we know how spotty and different the scenarios are there.

Android is a good start.  It might be good to develop a version that runs on
the desktop to allow for it to be perfected first and then move on to porting
it to different hardware as needed.

> Mobile stuff is, sadly, much more retrograde in terms of freedom than
> desktops.

That’s precisely why a free version of the iOS frameworks are needed to help to
free all of the apps which are proprietary on it so that they can run on other
platforms.  Development of such a framework is not the end, but just the
beginning of making these platforms free.

> Riccardo

Greg