Re: [Duplicity-talk] Integrity check

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Integrity check
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 08:37:06 -0500

Jacob Godserv wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 12:49, Kenneth Loafman <address@hidden> wrote:
>> There is a hash in the manifest for the volume files.  It's a simple
>> check that duplicity does to verify that the volume is not corrupt,
>> SHA1, or MD5, is all we use at the moment.
>
> If duplicity can indeed do this checking per-volume instead of
> per-file (as verify appears to do), and it does essentially the same
> thing has '<hash-bin> -c' just as fast, then this feature gets my
> vote.

Duplicity does this checking when restoring, but we need to add hashes
to the end of the manifest to cover the rest of the files.  I'm thinking
now an XML approach to the manifest to actually simplify the format.

Two things have come out of this discussion:
1) There is a need for a simple integrity check without having to do
verify.  You've convinced me.

2) Duplicity needs to be able to use the better hashes that are now
available in the modern Python's.  We're limited to what's available in
Python 2.3, but that's not a real problem.

We also need to consider what's next.  We're implementing par2 in 0.7,
so will that make this work obsolete soon?

...Ken