Re: [Duplicity-talk] Integrity check

From: Jacob Godserv
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Integrity check
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 10:10:07 -0400

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 09:37, Kenneth Loafman <address@hidden> wrote:
> We also need to consider what's next.  We're implementing par2 in 0.7,
> so will that make this work obsolete soon?

If I recall correctly, the biggest reason everyone was looking forward
to having parity in duplicity is to increase the changes of recovering
corrupted data from not at all to possible.

The functionality does overlap, but I think they each bring their own
benefits: hashes provide a quick way of making sure everything is
ship-shape, while parity provides a way to recover not-so-ship-shape
volumes. (If there's a way to make parity checking as fast as hashes,
then we don't need hashes.)

--
    Jacob

    "For then there will be great distress, unequaled
    from the beginning of the world until now — and never
    to be equaled again. If those days had not been cut
    short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the
    elect those days will be shortened."

    Are you ready?