dvdrtools-users

[Dvdrtools-users] Re: crypt ISO image -- can't encrypt images any more

From: Bryan J. Smith
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: crypt ISO image -- can't encrypt images any more than you can compress
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 10:43:59 -0500 (EST)

Quoting Alessio Sangalli <address@hidden>:
> I don't want an encrypted file system, but a crypted ISO. I don't want
> anyone to be able to read the contents of the disc...

First off, an .iso is an image of a filesystem, ISO9660 or UDF specifically.

Secondly, if you crypt/compress the .iso, you can't burn it with cdrecord AFAIK.
 If I'm wrong, please correct me.

You'd be better off doing encryption on a per-file basis, then mastering the
image from that.

> do you mean 'read' when it has to write the iso image on the DVD right?

Correct.

> Because I was thinking to _read_ it back with dd.

So you're not talking about burning it to media, but just leaving it as a
"single file" on your hard drive?  If so, then you _can_ do such using the
loopback device.

> I think I understand your point. I will try the 'iso into an iso'
> system...

.iso into .iso???

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I. (BSECE)       Contact Info:  http://thebs.org