[emacs-bidi] Points composition - status.

From: Yair Friedman (Jerusalem)
Subject: [emacs-bidi] Points composition - status.
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 12:20:47 +0200

Hi,

Things seems to be working enough for you to see.  So I figured it's a
good time to give some status. Attached are all the changes against 21.1
needed for composing Hebrew with points.

Also attached is a modified heb24-etl.bdf so you can see these
changes. I intent to work on the 16 points later on.

The 3rd attachment is a sample text. See hebrew-post-read-conversion
does it's magic :-)

I've disabled the accents because I want to avoid further complication
I'll comment them out when the points will work. I'll probably will
change composition-function-table regexp to something else once the
ordering is resolved.

It seems that some of the changed files are dumped with emacs.
lisp/international/characters.el is not even reentrant.  You'll have to
evaluate the changes in those files after starting emacs to make things
work.

The two main problems I see left are:

1. The input method don't agree with the composition.  Whenever the
   map-change key '[' is hit, the composition sequence is stopped.  I'll
   try to see who to define the input method so composition will
   continue.

2. The input method needs to re-order the points if they are entered in
   the "wrong" order.  Reading more sections 4.2 and 3.10 I understand
   they have to be ordered by "Canonical Combining Classes" property of
   the characters (the 4th field in UnicodeData file), then by code.  Is
   this correct?  I want to verify before creating all of the decoding
   tables etc. What might be the best strategy to do reordering?

As this is not strictly bidi issue, is this list the most appropriate
place to discuss this?  If not what list would be more appropriate?

I'll be in vacation for the next 8 days, so unless you have immediate
response take your time before answering :-).