Re: [emacs-bidi] Points composition - status.

From: Yair Friedman (Jerusalem)
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Points composition - status.
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 18:25:05 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> IMHO, this whole issue cannot be discussed without considering
> additional aspects.  One such important aspect is how do we delete
> characters in the presence of diacriticals?  Does DEL delete the
> diacritical that is before point, or does it delete the base character
> as well?

I think it would be the best if the cursor would change the shape of the
cursor to reflect the position of the character within the
composition. forward/backward-char concept should go over one diacritic
at a time.

> The reason why it matters is that a user might want to replace only
> one of a series of multiple diacriticals.  Unless we want users to
> remove and type the entire series of diacriticals and their base
> letter en-bloc (which IMHO would be very inconvenient), we cannot
> require them to never type a diacritical without typing a base letter
> first.

The way I see it is that a diacritical is just a character by itself -
in case that it is in a pattern that matches a composition, the *display*
is different.

Notice that the composition patterns can be quite long.  The maximal
theoretical length I expect is letter+ 5 accent.  One practical example
can be found in Proverbs:31:13 5th word "Kol" you have the base letter
kaf together with qamats, dagesh, geresh-muqdam and revia.

An additional aspect is that we should like to add is that we need to
prevent "illogical" composition such as aleph+qamats+patah. reordering
can help detect such cases.