Re: [emacs-bidi] Points composition - status.

From: Matan Ninio
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Points composition - status.
Date: 23 Dec 2001 19:10:43 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Yair Friedman (Jerusalem) wrote:

> > > Let me remind you that some display types supported by Emacs, most
> > > notably the character-based terminal, don't support changes in cursor
> > > shape.  We need a solution that works on all types of display, or at
> > > least a back-up solution which will work where cursor shape cannot be
> > > changed.
> >
> > Yes, but composed characters don't work on character-based terminal in
> > the first place...
>
> How do you mean ``don't work''?  You should see the first character of the
> composition, IIRC.  If that doesn't work, perhaps there's some bug.
>
> > Not if the cursor changes its shape. But I suggest that we will stay
> > consistent together with other languages that use composition (Thai,
> > Tibetan, etc.)
> >
> > It seems that forward/backward commands are working per-base
> > character, while delete is done per diacritical.
>
> That's possible, but I think having a command that deletes the base
> character together with its diacriticals is better.  Perhaps Thai and
> Tibetan users will like it too ;-)  It's even possible that there is such a
> command already.

What about a toggle-able composite-character behavior (delete/move by
base characters) and segment based behavior?  we may even want to allow
decomposition of the buffer for complicated cases.
btw, have any of you considered that diacriticals may appear on
non-strong-R2L  base chars, such as " ", "_" , "*" and even English
letters (Thing of a "fill the letters" quiz, for an easy example.)