Re: [emacs-bidi] Points composition - status.

From: Yair Friedman (Jerusalem)
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Points composition - status.
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 15:37:23 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: "Yair Friedman (Jerusalem)" <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 18:25:05 +0200
>>
>> I think it would be the best if the cursor would change the shape of the
>> cursor to reflect the position of the character within the
>> composition.
>
> Let me remind you that some display types supported by Emacs, most
> notably the character-based terminal, don't support changes in cursor
> shape.  We need a solution that works on all types of display, or at
> least a back-up solution which will work where cursor shape cannot be
> changed.

Yes, but composed characters don't work on character-based terminal in
the first place... (At least not in my environment).

>> forward/backward-char concept should go over one diacritic
>> at a time.
>
> Does that mean that I'll have to type C-f N+1 times to move across a
> character which has N diacriticals?  IMHO that would be a _major_
> inconvenience for users, and will also confuse them: the cursor will
> appear to be ``stuck'' even though you type C-f.

Not if the cursor changes its shape. But I suggest that we will stay
consistent together with other languages that use composition (Thai,
Tibetan, etc.)

It seems that forward/backward commands are working per-base
character, while delete is done per diacritical.