Re: [emacs-bidi] Points composition - status.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Points composition - status.
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 15:57:45 +0200 (IST)

On Sun, 16 Dec 2001, Alex Schroeder wrote:

> Shouldn't we look at existing user interfaces for this?

I already did ;-)  What I wrote was based on experience with a word
processor (not MS-Word) which supports diacriticals.

I can describe how it went about deletion and insertion, but perhaps
people want to come up woth their ideas first.

> I don't know how hebrew with diacriticals is written,
> but for compositions in Latin-1 the case is clear: You type the accent
> before you type the letter, and you erase the entire composition by
> hitting delete once.

This is certainly a possibility, but I think it's not very convenient
one.  For example, it happens that you have letters already written, and
then you decide to add a diacritical to disambiguate the word (since
there are quite a few words which, when you omit the diacriticals, look
identical, but have a very difficult meaning).  It would be inconvenient
to delete the letter only to type it (the same letter!) again.