Re: Info faces

From: Kai Großjoha nn
Subject: Re: Info faces
Date: 25 Oct 2000 23:35:17 +0200

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Dave Love <address@hidden>
>> Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 17:39:38 +0100
>>
>>  MB> [Of course another question is, if it's an xterm, should emacs
>>  MB> try to read the X resources and see what the real fg/bg colors
>>  MB> are?]
>>
>> That wouldn't make any sense in the typical use of running in a
>> remote telnet session.
>
> Sorry, I don't follow: a remote telnet session is either not an
> xterm session (in which case resources will fail), or runs on an X
> client, in which case treating it as a local xterm session is the
> Right Thing.  Am I missing something?

Suppose I start X on host slowfox, then start an xterm here.  Within
the xterm, I do `telnet frumple'.  Frumple is a remote host which
doesn't have X installed at all.  On frumple, I say `emacs'.  How is
that Emacs supposed to read the X resources used by the xterm running
on slowfox?

But maybe by `treating as a local xterm session' you mean that Emacs
tries to read the X resources and falls back to a reasonable default
when that fails, then the fallback will surely work fine for Emacs
running on frumple.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.