Re: Q: something like autoload for coding-systems?

From: Pavel Janík
Subject: Re: Q: something like autoload for coding-systems?
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2001 11:48:23 +0100

   From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
   Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 12:27:38 +0200 (IST)

Hi Eli,

   > > (codepage-setup '1250)
   > >
   > > I got an idea how to remove that need completely: to invent something
like
   > > autoload for coding systems.
   >
   > This was discussed before.  The proposed solution was to have something
   > special for cpNNN coding systems that would automatically call
   > codepage-setup for them as needed.  It just didn't get implemented...

can you tell me where to find that discussion? I have just quickly browsed
through emacs-devel archives, but found nothing. I can try to do that.

   > To be useful, this should be done at a much lower level than Gnus, or any
   > other application package.  IMHO, it would be very confusing to have
   > codepages automagically available in certain commands, but not in others.

Of course, this is the reason why I mentioned C-x RET C in the previous
mail as well.
--
Pavel Janík

In protocol design, perfection has been reached not when there is nothing
left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
                  -- RFC1925: The Twelve Networking Truths