Re: Q: something like autoload for coding-systems?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Q: something like autoload for coding-systems?
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 09:58:49 +0200

> From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 14:23:10 +0900 (JST)
>
> By the way, for that, we must pay attention to
> find-coding-systems-region.  Without loading a coding
> system, it can't find out that coding system is safe or not.
> Is it ok that find-coding-systems-region won't return such
> coding systems that are not yet loaded?

It might be (almost) okay; it's certainly no worse than what we have
now ;-)

It could be argued that find-coding-systems-region is mostly called
when we output text.  If that's so, in many cases the appropriate
coding tables would be already loaded, when that text was decoded
during input.

The alternative would be to load all the coding systems befor (or
inside) find-coding-systems-region, which would be wrong, to say the
least.