Re: Q: something like autoload for coding-systems?

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: Q: something like autoload for coding-systems?
Date: 04 Nov 2001 16:23:01 +0000

 PJ> Users here in CZ and SK need to use CP1250 and CP852 very often :-( In my
 PJ> package they can just click in menu and coding-system cp1250 is defined,
 PJ> because it does

 PJ> (codepage-setup '1250)

They'd be better off with a proper definition of windows-1250 -- see
my codepages.el.  codepage-setup and its effects should go, at least
in the non-DOS world.

 PJ> I got an idea how to remove that need completely: to invent
 PJ> something like autoload for coding systems.

I implemented that some time ago (and advertised so somewhere).  What
I did may not be the best way, but works.  I don't know whether or not
it's on my CVS branch.

I'm not sure it's actually worth autoloading a few tens of 8-bit
coding systems -- I haven't measured how much space they use.

 PJ> Gnus-user has just received an e-mail from win-user. It tells to Gnus, it
 PJ> is in windows-1250. Gnus knows that windows-1250 is in fact cp1250:
 PJ>
 PJ>     ;; Windows-1250 is a variant of Latin-2 heavily used by Microsoft
 PJ>     ;; Outlook users in Czech republic. Use this to allow reading of their
 PJ>     ;; e-mails. cp1250 should be defined by M-x codepage-setup.
 PJ>     ,@(if (and (not (mm-coding-system-p 'windows-1250))
 PJ>                (mm-coding-system-p 'cp1250))
 PJ>           '((windows-1250 . cp1250)))

I don't understand that code or where it's supposed to be.  The
canonical name is windows-1250, and the coding system should have an
appropriate mime-charset property.  You can make cp1250 a
coding-system alias if you want.  This sort of thing just works for me
in Gnus, perhaps after fixing up some of its decoding code.  (It
should also work for encoding with windows-1250 as the preferred
coding system.)

Unfortunately, there seems to be widespread confusion about charset
handling and other encoding issues in Gnus.