Re: Fringe frame parameters, default values

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Fringe frame parameters, default values
Date: 01 Dec 2001 16:34:58 +0100

address@hidden (Gerd Moellmann) writes:

> In GNU Emacs 21.1.50.9 (i386-unknown-freebsd4.4, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
>  of 2001-12-01 on gerd.dnsq.org
>
> `(frame-parameter nil 'left-fringe)' returns nil in the default case,
> but setting left-fringe to nil removes the fringe.  I think these
> frame parameters should be initialized to the actual values in use.

But setting it to nil does not remove the fringe (0 does).

Nil restores the default width which - as I interpret it - is the
minimum width necessary to display any of the currently defined fringe
bitmaps (i.e. min. 8 pixels with the current bitmaps).

Once it is possible to redefine those bitmaps externally, it would
also be possible to define a bitmap which is wider than 8 pixels - and
the default should [IMO] be to automatically adjust the fringe width
to allow the wider bitmap to be displayed.

So nil is the actual value meaning : "just wide enough".

> BTW, I accidentally saw a clipping problem in xterm.c, which I think
> I've fixed with
>
> 2001-12-01  Gerd Moellmann  <address@hidden>
>
>       * xterm.c (x_draw_fringe_bitmap): Always undo clipping.
>
> The former code left a clipping rectangle set in a GC, which should
> have lead to some display problems, but I have currently no way of
> checking this.

Thank you Gerd - I already received a complaint about a display problem
caused by my changes, so you saved my day!