Re: Keys when menu-bar is active?

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Keys when menu-bar is active?
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 13:14:10 +0100 (CET)

On 20 Jan 2002, Jason Rumney wrote:

> > I'd like to bound ESC to "escape" from the menu-bar (mouse-1 on "File"
> > will pop-up the menu File. When I press Escape, the menu "File" will
> > disappear and the menu-bar will not be activated.)
>
> It is probably better to spend this effort porting the menu code to
> GTK, which I think will give you that behaviour for free.

I agree.  The point in having these UI "helpers" is that they are shared
among many programs the user uses.  If each application choses its own
widget implementation and make its own usability decision, the usability
will be horrible.

(A long running example of this is the scroll bar in Emacs, it behaves
like no other scroll bar I have ever seen, so I rather have it disabled
than become confused by it.)