Re: kill ring menu

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: kill ring menu
Date: 17 May 2002 10:44:12 +0900

Colin Walters <address@hidden> writes:
> So I went back to thinking about Miles' suggestion.  The problem with
> making display of `face' properties dependent on the value of the
> `font-lock-mode' variable (or another variable controlled by font-lock)
> is that it isn't strictly backwards compatible.  If a mode not
> distributed with Emacs puts faces on manually, but doesn't enable
> `font-lock-mode', then the defaults will be changed.

Well, the default (non-buffer-local) value for the variable could be t, or
the variable could have a negative sense, e.g., `inhibit-face-properties'
(I like the latter method).

> the attached patch creates a new text property `font-lock-face'.
> Modes can use this instead of the `face' property, and display of
> those faces is controlled by the value of the `font-lock-mode'
> variable.

I don't like the duplication of the face property; it just seems
unnecessary.  [I also think it should use a more generic name, not
connected with `font-lock']

-Miles
--
Yo mama's so fat when she gets on an elevator it HAS to go down.