Re: kill ring menu

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: kill ring menu
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 08:48:16 -0600 (MDT)

    Since we've agreed to go to the trouble of changing replace.el,
    comint.el, ibuffer.el, etc. to support this new interface, we could take
    this opportunity to put in a more "permanent" interface, that we expect
    authors of "special" modes not distributed with Emacs to use.

In principle it is worth putting in a good interface--but what would
make an interface better than this one?  What's wrong with this
interface?  Could you propose one you think is better?

    +(defcustom occur-mode-hook '(font-lock-mode)

Using `font-lock-mode' here is not correct; it will turn the mode off
if it was already on.

    +                result (intern (format "ibuffer-category-%d" i)
    +                               ibuffer-category-obarray)))

How come you need an unlimited number of categories for ibuffer?  I
would have expected a fixed small set to be sufficient.

It seems awfully complex to use an obarray for this.  I am sure there
is a simpler and more efficient way to do it.  For instance, you could
simply create a list of category symbols which is parallel to
ibuffer-fontification-alist.