Re: kill ring menu

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: kill ring menu
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 12:48:33 -0600 (MDT)

    > the attached patch creates a new text property `font-lock-face'.
    > Modes can use this instead of the `face' property, and display of
    > those faces is controlled by the value of the `font-lock-mode'
    > variable.

That approach is ok if the category method can't be made to work.
I agree with Miles that it is somewhat undesirable to add a new
primitive for this, especially since it probably isn't necessary:
the category approach can probably be made to work.

To make it work, you just need to create a distinct category symbol
for each buffer (that uses one of those modes).  Do it with make-symbol
so that they won't be interned.

That method probably is not very hard once you try.