Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 12:21:23 -0400

> > > I can see that is a problem.
> > >
> > > I need to bind them to two adjacent function keys, but maybe we should
> > > move them to f3 and f4 instead ?
> >
> > Please don't use Fn keys.  It's very non-intuitive.
>
> But its so much simpler to use...

The menmonic content is pretty damn close to 0, so it's very much not
simpler to use unless you use it all the time.  If you do use it
all the time, feel free to rebind them, indeed.

> Although I can see that there is more "sense" in the C-x (, C-x ), and
> C-x e bindings, they are just way too cumbersome to type.

Maybe but they're reasonably mnemonic and we have to support them
anyway because that's the way it worked in the past.

> I.e. I have to hit 4 keys to type C-x (, type the macro, then hit 4
> keys to type C-x ), and finally 3 keys to type C-x e for every call of
> the macro.

Sure.  So you bound them to some of the user-reserved function keys.
Great for you.  Don't force it down everybody's throat.

> So the question is not whether to use function keys, but which ones
> to use by default.  If I don't hear any objections to using f3 and f4,
> I'll make the change.

No, I think that using function keys for it is just wrong.

> > By the way, how about making C-x e e e e e e repeat like
> > C-x z z z z z does ?
> Try C-x C-k C-k C-k.... :-)

No, I really meant C-x e e e e e e, not some other binding
(especially not one that reminds me of killing a line).

        Stefan