Re: Divergence in menu appearance between Emacs Info and standalone Info

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: Divergence in menu appearance between Emacs Info and standalone Info
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 12:30:25 -0400

    1.  First decide how the Emacs version is going to look.

I had the impression that the decision had been made, namely to hide
those node names by default.  Are there other issues?

    2.  Decide how the standalone version is going to look.

In principle, I would like it to operate the same as Emacs, as much as
possible.  However, the other programmers haven't responded to my
request, so I don't know when this will happen.

I don't know when the next release of Emacs is likely to happen, but I
bet it will be (long) before any Texinfo release incorporating the
changes.

    3.  Implement 1 and 2.
    4.  Rewrite the documentation accordingly.

I think the documentation may need to be updated after 1 is done and
before 2, because whatever info.texi gets shipped with Emacs should
reflect what's in that Emacs, and yet also still be relevant to
standalone Info.

I wish I could say otherwise, that standalone Info will track Emacs
immediately and we could release at the same time, but I just don't have
the person-hours to make it happen ...

Thanks,
karl