Re: address@hidden: changing line heights]

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: address@hidden: changing line heights]
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 07:32:23 +0200 (CEST)

> > The default ' and ` characters in the XFree86 4.x fonts I looked
> > at*, by contrast, _are_ fairly easy to distinguish in my font --

Since I use the ETL fonts at a 24x12 resolution, this is true for me
also -- the ` and ' glyphs are *designed* to be used as left and right
quotes.

> Unicode says that the characters 0x60 and 0x27 are a grave accent
> and a vertical quote, not an open and close quotation mark.  The
> XFree86 fonts are doing the right thing.

The ETL fonts aren't XFree86 fonts...

> However, GNU documentation (info and doc strings) use them as open
> and close quotation marks.  It seems to me that the right solution
> is by default to map 0x60/0x27 to the Unicode quotation marks only
> in buffers displaying documentation (help and info); users should
> also be able to enable this mapping on a per-buffer basis and
> globally.

I agree.  Whatever solution is found, there should be an indication
for `C-u C-x =' that those characters (probably) come from a different
font.  Additionally, it should be possible to exactly specify which
font is used for those two characters.

    Werner