Re: address@hidden: Re: [Savannah-hackers] address@hidden: Re: emacs/src

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: [Savannah-hackers] address@hidden: Re: emacs/src/regex.c]]
Date: 26 Dec 2003 14:33:31 +0100

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

>    From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
>    Date: 25 Dec 2003 23:55:13 +0100
>
>    cvs -d :ext:address@hidden:/cvsroot/gnulib \
>          checkout gnulib/regex.{c,h}
>
> fyi, i just tried this and it works w/ cvs 1.11 -- cool!

CVS has nothing to with it at all.  Brace expansion is done already
by the shell.  The above is completely equivalent to

    cvs -d :ext:address@hidden:/cvsroot/gnulib \
           checkout gnulib/regex.c gnulib/regex.h

Because I did not trust CVS in that regard, I had not written
gnulib/regexp.\[ch] which  would have had to be expanded by CVS
(without the backslash, it would have become a filename glob and that
can't be expanded before the files are there).

Even this mistrust may be misapplied since CVS _has_ to support
globbing itself (because of interpreting .cvsignore files, for one
thing).  However, a cursory glance through the man and info pages has
left me in the dark about whether patterns would be allowed in the
checkout command.

So I used brace expansion which bypasses CVS altogether.