Re: Feature freeze and Tramp?

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Feature freeze and Tramp?
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 20:40:29 -0500 (CDT)

Kai Grossjohann wrote:

   If you (setq tramp-debug-buffer t) then you can see in the *debug
   tramp/foo* buffer whether or not Tramp sends the line to the remote
   end.  Could you please check this?

Tramp _does_ send that line.

   Could you also check whether the command needs to be changed for
   your case to have the desired effect?

My original report concerned a remote machine running Solaris2.8.
I now tried it on a remote machine running GNU/Linux and there tramp
only inserted the 3 lines:

unset correct
unset autocorrect
exec env 'ENV=' 'PS1=$ ' /bin/sh

in .bash_history, which is still somewhat of a nuisance, but less than
hundreds, as happens on Solaris2.8.  A ~/.tramp_history file gets
created on GNU/Linux, but not on Solaris2.8.

I checked that running:

HISTFILE=~/nosuchfile
echo aha

will work (that is, create ~/nosuchfile and use it) on GNU/Linux,
whether you use sh or bash.  On Solaris2.8 it works if you use bash,
but not if you use sh.  _Maybe_ this can be considered to actually be
a bug in the Solaris2.8 version of sh, but I am not sure about that.

Sincerely,

Luc.