Re: Feature freeze and Tramp?

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Feature freeze and Tramp?
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 09:57:08 -0500 (CDT)

Kai Grossjohann wrote:

           * tramp.el (tramp-open-connection-setup-interactive-shell): `unset
           HISTFILE' rather than `set -o history' to turn off the history.

Is `set -o history' a typo?  In my version of bash that turns _on_
history and I have to use `set +o history' to turn it off.  Anyway,
this feature indeed seems to be bash-specific and hence useless if
you do not know that the shell is bash.

`unset HISTFILE' would not work at the particular spot anyway, even if
the shell is bash, because one has to export the "history-disabledness"
and "unsettedness" of variables does not get exported.

           * tramp.el (tramp-open-connection-setup-interactive-shell): Posix
           shells don't allow you to turn off the history, so we redirect it
           to an innocuous file and limits that file's size as much as
           possible.

They certainly do not allow `set +o history'.  After `bash --posix',
both `unset HISTFILE' and `HISTFILE=' seem to work.  But the fact that
they work in `bash --posix' is definitely no "proof".  Maybe some
other shells insist on using their default history file if HISTFILE is
either unset _or_ null, so it probably is safer to keep the current
constructs.

Sincerely,

Luc.