Re: Feature freeze and Tramp?

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Feature freeze and Tramp?
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 20:02:07 -0500 (CDT)

Kai Grossjohann wrote:

   Cool!  Thanks for the fix, will incorporate this into Tramp shortly.

That leaves us with the issue of those three remaining lines which are
still somewhat of a nuisance.  They can be completely gotten rid of by
setting tramp-initial-commands to

("unset HISTFILE" "unset correct" "unset autocorrect")

where the order is, of course, important.  In other words "unset
HISTFILE" is pushed onto the default value.

I have customized tramp-initial-commands to the above in my personal
customizations.  Can the "unset HISTFILE" ever give problems on a
remote host running an exotic shell and, if so, would the two other
"unset" commands, present in the current default, not give problems on
that same host anyway?  Is there a reason not add "unset HISTFILE" to
the front of the default value, or at least, suggest doing so in
tramp-initial-commands' docstring?

("HISTFILE=" "export HISTFILE" "unset correct" "unset autocorrect")

would, I believe, make the

"HISTFILE=$HOME/.tramp_history; HISTSIZE=1; export HISTFILE; export HISTSIZE"

unnecessary, but I am afraid that some shells might not recognize "export".
However, was there any reason to use "HISTFILE=$HOME/.tramp_history;
HISTSIZE=1;" instead of simply using "HISTFILE= ; export HISTFILE" at the
same spot?

Sincerely,

Luc.