Re: display word wrapping

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: display word wrapping
Date: 03 Jun 2004 11:26:44 +0200

> On 03 Jun 2004 11:00:38 +0200
> David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I don't think so.  The supported image types do not depend on the
> > actual display currently in use: they specify what kind of images
> > Emacs is able to decipher and load.
>
> What does mean "decipher and load" in this context?

That Emacs is able to interpret the "image" display property.  The
image display property is a property for strings.  Whether or not I
can have those strings interpreted on a display depends on the
display, not on Emacs.

> In what sense is emacs -nw able to decipher pbm (which is in
> image-types) differently than gif (which is not)?

It can read them into display properties.  It can use find-image on
them.

> > But for everything else, I don't see an incitement to have
> > image-types be display-dependent.  B&W bitmap displays should
> > probably _prefer_ monochrome image formats if available, but I
> > don't know if they should actually fail when only color images are
> > there.
>
> Either we're miscommunicating, or I'm lost.  I'm talking of a case
> where window-system is nil, so no image can ever shown, B&W or
> otherwise.

It still can be read in, and nobody keeps me from using
make-frame-on-display in order to display it.  Actually, at the
current point of time this won't work, but I suppose that once the
multi-tty branch has been merged, it would.