Re: Face color changes

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: Face color changes
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 16:26:14 +0100

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> All conditions should be preserved with changes
> made only in the condition for the current environment.

This sounds a lot like overengineering to me.  Assume an innocent user
who takes his face definitions from one system to the next.  Depending
on what kind of system it is, his faces will either look like what he
customized them, or it will look like the default definitions for that
kind of system.

You seem to argue that the users' customization will not make sense on
the new system, if we add the necessary code.

I claim, however, that this "magic" will be harder to understand for
users that don't want to delve into customizations.

Which of the two points is more important?

Note that we don't have to worry about users that know a lot about
faces: They can for example M-x customize-face RET isearch RET
Choose "State" and select "7 - select all display specs" -- they can
then do the customizations they require and save.

The only thing I think we might add is a check when saving if "just
showing current attributes" and other display specs exist.  I'm not
sure we need this, however.  If we wanted to teach new users about
display specs, we should just default to "show all display specs" --
and I don't think we want that.

In my opinion, we don't need to change anything.

Alex.
--
.O.  http://www.emacswiki.org/alex/
..O  Schroeder's fifth law: