Re: 3 dots vanish at end of filled line

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: 3 dots vanish at end of filled line
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 18:57:06 -0400

        Or maybe there is a filling bug in the makeinfo program so that it

    It is not a bug in makeinfo -- there is whitespace in the input, and
    that (almost) always means it's ok to break a line in the output.  It's
    just doing what the user said to do.

I agree this is a bug in Emacs, but I think the output from Texinfo is
wrong.  Perhaps the input is wrong too.  There should not be
whitespace before an ellipsis in English text.

Can you change Makeinfo to warn when there is space before @dots{}?

We should fix the Emacs bug anyway, though.

    Why not get rid of such flawed heuristics and simply underline titles
    the way they are underlined in the .info files, as the standalone Info
    reader does?

That is easy to say, but how would one do it?  How would Info
recognize these titles if not by the following like which "underlines"
them?