Re: 3 dots vanish at end of filled line

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: 3 dots vanish at end of filled line
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 11:00:02 -0400

> It is trying to do the impossible.  The problem is that we are dealing
> with plain text, not formatted text with special markup for titles.

Indeed.  And we've been through this discussion already.  And since Emacs's
Info mode does even more of those "dangerous" guessing games now than
before, I think it's pretty clear that we've decided it's worth the risk.

Actually, the problem is in the Info format, which is even not clearly
unambiguous when it comes to the syntax of menus: there several places
(typically in index nodes for manuals which include things like infix
operators in their index) where we have no other option but to guess.

> And this type of bug can be very nasty when it does occur.  Even with
> the equal length heuristic, the situation leading to bugs is not
> really that excessively unlikely in certain situations, like, for
> instance, quoting program output or input inside @verbatim or
> @verbatiminclude.

I think such sample text should be indented, otherwise even a human reader
could get confused.

If those risks are too high for you, then I'd suggest you turn off font-lock
in your info buffers.

        Stefan