RE: Time to install the new icons

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Time to install the new icons
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 13:28:57 -0800

    > 1. Could we please include different color-scheme versions of
    the (same)
    > icons in the Windows exe?

    That's a different issue.  We currently have only 2 types of icons:
    for bright background and for dark background; no further color scheme
    support is available.  I say let's first decide whether we want to
    change the default icon, and if we do, let's after that see if we need
    to provide more support for color schemes.

Yes, of course. I didn't realize the basic design was not yet decided upon.
See my other message on that question.

    > I'm not a Windows expert, but I believe it is easier for a
    user to change
    > the icon associated with a shortcut (to an app) than the icon
    associated
    > directly with the app itself.

    But we _are_ talking about an icon for a shortcut, since neither
    emacs.exe nor runemacs.exe are themselves copied to the Desktop or to
    the Start Menu.

OK, good. I didn't realize that we supplied Desktop and Start Menu
shortcuts.

    > In the case of a shortcut, you just right-click it, choose
    > Properties, click Change Icon..., and click the icon you want.

    Did you actually try doing that with the shortcut to runemacs.exe?
    When you click Properties->Change Icon for a shortcut, the list of
    available shortcuts shows the ones mentioned in the emacs.rc file, not
    the ones in the icons/ directory.  For the latter, you need to click
    Browse and navigate to the icons/ directory (or type the directory
    name directly).

I don't have the build here. But, either way is fine with me - it's OK to
browse to another location (provided you know where those icons are to be
found).

    > If changing the icon associated directly with an app is
    harder for users to
    > do (e.g. change registry settings), then we might want to also provide
    > shortcuts to runemacs.exe and emacs.exe (and gnuclientw.exe, if that's
    > provided).

    We do provide shortcuts to runemacs.exe, in the Start Menu.  That's
    what "addpm /q" does in "make install".

Got it. Good.

    > 2. You ask if we should include the single .ico file from
    Andrew's email.
    > The only .ico file in that message is a 48x48 icon.

    I think it's a 16x16 icon.  If you place the mouse pointer above it,
    doesn't Windows tell you that?

My bad. I didn't realize that all of the icons were in the .ico, and I
viewed only the 48x48 one.

    Anyway, these are all technicalities not directly related to the
    question I asked.  Do you like Andrew's icon, and would you like it to
    be the default icon for Emacs on Windows (assuming that all the other
    technicalities are resolved)?

The icons are fine with me (but see my other message, for personal
preferences, if the design is still open). There are 6 images in the .ico
file. Two are 16x16 icons, I believe, one of which has the top-bound spiral
notebook. Which of the two is the one intended as the default 16x16 image?

I personally would prefer a color that stands out a little more - this
appears to be a grayscale image, which is pretty dull. But if other color
schemes are also provided, then I don't care which color is used as the
default. I guess gray has the advantage of "going" with everything (I just
prefer that Emacs stand out a bit).