Re: commands invoked by the mouse -> commands invoked from the menu bar

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: commands invoked by the mouse -> commands invoked from the menu bar
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 23:13:03 +0100

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> Lennart Borgman wrote:
>
>    In "(emacs) Visiting" there is written
>
>        commands invoked with the mouse (by clicking on the menu bar or tool
>        bar) use the toolkit's standard File Selection dialog instead of
>        prompting for the file name in the minibuffer.
>
>    Should it not be like this instead:
>
>        commands invoked from the menu bar (from the keyboard or with the
>        mouse) use the toolkit's standard File Selections dialog ...

The second is no more accurate than the first, as it leaves out the
fact that clicking on the tool bar will use the toolkit dialog.

> I would expect the current text to be correct.

The actual condition (in fileio.c) is

#if defined (USE_MOTIF) || defined (HAVE_NTGUI) || defined (USE_GTK) || defined
(HAVE_CARBON)
  if ((NILP (last_nonmenu_event) || CONSP (last_nonmenu_event))
      && use_dialog_box
      && use_file_dialog
      && have_menus_p ())
    return Qt;
#endif
  return Qnil;

So it seems to me, that if menus are disabled, then even tool bar
mouse events will not bring up a dialog, which is probably a
bug. Otherwise, it seems that the event which brings up the menu is
what is important. But on Windows, the behaviour is as Lennart
describes - ie the key sequence F10 down RET brings up the
dialog. Perhaps menu events are being saved in last_nonmenu_event, at
least on Windows.