Re: commands invoked by the mouse -> commands invoked from the menu bar

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: commands invoked by the mouse -> commands invoked from the menu bar
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 02:33:13 +0200

Jason Rumney wrote:
Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

Lennart Borgman wrote:

   In "(emacs) Visiting" there is written

       commands invoked with the mouse (by clicking on the menu bar or tool
       bar) use the toolkit's standard File Selection dialog instead of
       prompting for the file name in the minibuffer.

   Should it not be like this instead:

       commands invoked from the menu bar (from the keyboard or with the
       mouse) use the toolkit's standard File Selections dialog ...

The second is no more accurate than the first, as it leaves out the
fact that clicking on the tool bar will use the toolkit dialog.
Sorry, I forgot the toolbar. It should have been "the menu bar or the toolbar".

So it seems to me, that if menus are disabled, then even tool bar
mouse events will not bring up a dialog, which is probably a
bug. Otherwise, it seems that the event which brings up the menu is
what is important. But on Windows, the behaviour is as Lennart
describes - ie the key sequence F10 down RET brings up the
dialog. Perhaps menu events are being saved in last_nonmenu_event, at
least on Windows.
What is the intended behaviour? Luc expects that the dialog would not be shown when F10 down RET is used. I am not sure. The actual behaviour now is to show the dialog on w32 and this is consistent with other applications on w32. (Which of course mostly does not have an alternative to the file dialog.)

Maybe the behaviour should be ruled by an option?