Re: Default of jit-lock-stealth-time

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Default of jit-lock-stealth-time
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 23:55:58 +0100

martin rudalics <address@hidden> writes:

>>>But stealth mode does not guarantee that at all.  It is completely
>>>irreproducible whether or not some buffer has been completely
>>>stealthified.
>>

>> Agree!
>>
>> I actually think Martin's argument speaks _against_ a non-nil default
>> value of jit-lock-stealth-time -- no major mode should ever rely on
>> such convoluted behavior.
>
> Obviously.  But we should be prepared to get a few more bug reports when we
> set this to nil.

That's ok.

If those bugs are really there - users will see them even when
jit-lock-stealth-time is non-nil.

Getting bug reports for repeatable bugs is infinitely better than
reports about bugs that "happens from time to time, but I don't know
how to reproduce it".

It will just be much more difficult to debug them, if the bug is
timing dependent, rather than happening consistently.

Again -- a very good reason for the default being nil.