Re: Emacs 22 branch created.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs 22 branch created.
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 22:51:22 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 14:35:18 -0400
>
>     > #1 is intolerable because it means C-x b RMAIL RET won't take you
>     > to the current message.
>
>     Why not?  We could arrange for RMAIL to be that separate buffer where
>     we display decoded message text.
>
> Normally the buffer named RMAIL is the one that visits the file RMAIL.
> If we break that correspondence it is likely to cause a lot of
> trouble.  And what would we do for other mail files?

Perhaps I'm missing something, because I don't see a problem.  When
the user visits an Rmail file FOO, we could _always_ hold the current
message from that file in the buffer named FOO and arrange for its
visited file name to be FOO.  The actual contents of FOO the file
would be in another buffer.  We could arrange for save-file and other
similar commands to save FOO's contents from the buffer where we keep
its actual contents, instead of saving the buffer FOO.

Do you see any problem with this approach?