Re: Emacs 22 branch created.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs 22 branch created.
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 11:27:23 +0300

> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,  address@hidden,
>         address@hidden
> From: Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 09:21:55 +0200
>
> how about displaying the decoded message in the current buffer as an
> overlay of the (undecoded) text?  overlays do not get saved,
> normally, and can be made to show the decoded message.

I expect such a bizarre design to have unintended consequences.  For
starters, Emacs doesn't behave well when there are lots of overlays
(because overlays disable many display optimizations, so redisplay
becomes intolerably slow).

Also, what will the normal kill/yank operations do when the text you
want to copy to the kill ring is in an overlay?