Re: .emacs-settings.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: .emacs-settings.el
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 16:06:14 -0400

Stefan> I don't think it's a necessary feature, but it would be a nice
Stefan> addition (for for file-local and dir-local settings).  I'm not
Stefan> sure how to implement it either, but I guess we could change
Stefan> hack-local-variables to maintain a new (buffer-local) variable
Stefan> `file-local-settings' and in C-h v we check this var to see if
Stefan> the variable displayed is among the ones that were set
Stefan> file-locally.

> I was thinking about this, and it occurred to me that we could have
> "false positives".  E.g., project.el might set the variable and add it

Of course.  The obvious solution is to record to value set, so if the value
is still the same, you can reasonably presume that there's still
a relationship between the setting and the variable's current value.

Of course, maybe there isn't, but most likely if the setting is a problem,
the user will see "this setting comes from ...", it will go there, remove
the file-local or project-local setting and try again and will then see that
the same problem is still present but without the "this setting comes from
..." at which it'll know that there's something more to it.

        Stefan