Re: messages override minibuffer input

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: messages override minibuffer input
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 15:31:45 -0700 (PDT)

>     If I understand the code correctly, the function do_autoload in
>     eval.c normally calls load with arg NOMESSAGE being nil. So load
>     issues a message. Would it make sense that load used something like
>     optional-message?
>
> That change goes too far.  In the case you describe, do_autoload
> should not display the message.  But in many other cases it should.

I think that `load' should display the first message "Loading foo..."
regardless, since Emacs looks hung during the load and so an explanation
is needed.  The "Loading foo...done" message should be displayed as an
optional message, except that if it is not displayed the contents of the
echo area (or minibuffer) from /before/ the load should be restored.

> Ideally it should display the message, but restore the previous echo
> area contents later.  The hard part of that is arranging for the
> proper "later" time.

Currently `message' has a temporary effect if invoked while the minibuffer
is active.  What is the mechanism for this?  I can't see how Fmessage
arranges it.

Davis

shipping.