Re: isearch multiple buffers

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: isearch multiple buffers
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:22:53 +0200

Drew Adams wrote:
Selecting the buffers to be searched is not a problem.  I think the
*Buffer List* is a good interface to select them.  The question is
how to start multi-buffer isearch.  Imagine that you've marked a list
of buffers in the *Buffer List*.  How to start multi-buffer isearch now?
Should C-s start multi-buffer isearch in marked files, or should C-s
still allow searching for the string in the *Buffer List* (this
is useful for searching buffer names in the *Buffer List*).
I believe most users would be surprised if C-s started multi-buffer
isearch for the marked files.

Until they learn about it. It's not exactly dangerous, but it could be
surprising the first time, if you haven't heard about it first.

They would have to learn also what to use instead of C-s in that particular buffer.

But it is still a good "mnemonic". Maybe
ask the user if he/she wants to search the marked files?

I'm against that.

Asking the user for confirmation should be a last resort, reserved for
something that makes changes or has drastic consequences. It should not be
used just because we introduce a new feature that might surprise a user who
is not yet aware of it. If we did that each time, we would by now have
confirmation questions all over the place.