RE: CUA mode's C-RET binding [was: position on changing defaults?]

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: CUA mode's C-RET binding [was: position on changing defaults?]
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 16:02:55 -0800

> > BTW, any chance that we could change the default binding of
> > `cua-set-rectangle-mark' to something else, besides C-RET?
> > I don't see anything in the Common User Access definition
> > about C-RET, so I'm guessing it's not part of that standard
> > anyway.
>
> This has nothing to do with CUA as such - it's about finding
> a sensible and convenient binding for setting the rectangle mark.
>
> Since C-SPC sets the region mark, and the SPC key is "one
> dimensional", I think that C-RET is a good analogy with the
> RET key's typical "two dimensional" form.

I don't follow that - I don't see the dimensions. ;-) An analogy from C-SPC
to C-RET seems a bit far-fetched, to me, but I'm probably just not getting
it.

> And when I chose C-RET, it wasn't used by any other installed
> package (not as far as I could see).
>
> If we could move "just-one-space" to some other key, using M-SPC to
> set the rectangle mark would be an alternative "logical" binding for
> setting the rectangle-mark.

I don't use M-SPC much, but that seems to be a good choice for something
that has to do with spaces. I'd say let's leave that one alone.

> A third possibility would be S-SPC, but that may not work in -nw.

Right.

It's not clear to me that SPC and RET variants are natural choices for this,
though I do see the relation with C-SPC (which itself has no relation to
SPC, BTW). It seems like any simple key sequence would be as good for this
as C-RET, but I'm probably missing something.

> I guess that no matter what global key is chosen for
> "set-rectanle-mark", it will conflict with some other mode...

Yes, no doubt.

This sounds like yet another reason to perhaps split off the CUA rectangle
stuff from CUA mode. IIUC, there is no relation between the two, and if we
did that then people who like CUA mode for its C-x, C-v, C-c and selection
behavior would be able to use other software that conflicts with the
`cua-set-rectangle-mark' binding. That would be a win for both those other
packages and CUA mode.

> > Again, this is only a minor annoyance, but if fixed it
> > might let more people use CUA mode in more contexts.
>
> Sorry, but if I can decide, I'll not change it :-)

OK. No big deal.

Here's another thought, FWIW. Does it make sense to set the rectangle mark
in the minibuffer? If not, perhaps CUA mode could set it everywhere else.
IOW, bind `cua-set-rectangle-mark' to nil in each of the minibuffer maps in
CUA mode.

Just a thought. Dunno if that would do the trick, anyway.